There are huge benefits of providing eSports in education i.e. increase interests in STEM subjects, expanding opportunities, learning valuable skills, and inclusivity. Learn from those who have successfully set up their own eSports programs on how to conduct a needs assessment, define what equipment is required, and create operating procedures that allow technology managers and end-users to effectively use AV/IT resources.
Join us for the July Power Hour to learn how to:
- Identify the pillars of eSports within AV and how they can benefit education.
- Conduct a needs assessment and defining what AV/IT equipment is required and if there is digital inequity.
- Create SOPs that allow staff and end-users to use AV/IT resources for eSports effectively.
Audiovisual for higher education and learning spaces is one of the fastest-growing market segments, according to AVIXA’s IOTA report. University technology managers, engineers, and AV/IT integrators can get the latest on new trends, technologies, and applications for digital signage systems in AVIXA’s monthly Learning Tech Manager’s Power Hour. Learn more about the Learning Tech Manager's Power Hour series.
University of California, Irvine, eSports Department
- Kathy Chiang is the Assistant Director of the esports department at the University of California, Irvine.
- She manages the UCI Esports Arena, oversees program staff, and leads key initiatives including training programs, outreach, summer camps, and operations for the UCI Esports Conference.
- She graduated from UCI with a B.S. in Computer Game Science after co-founding one of the largest clubs on campus, The Association of Gamers.
- Recognized for her work with the campus gaming community and collegiate esports space since 2011, she was brought on as a key advisor for shaping the new esports program in 2016.
Chief Executive Officer
Esports Integration and Horizon AVL System Integration
- Joshua designed countless large venue and arena systems, video broadcast studios, and projection / LED wall video displays with precision and expertise. His vast experiences span 15 years in the industry.
- His vast experiences span 15 years in the industry. Joshua’s notable work was mentioned or featured in: ProSound News Magazine, Front of House Magazine (FOH), and Worship AVL Magazine, Projection
- Joshua leads Horizon AVL System Integration with industry rewards and recognition such as earning Contractor of the Year and Commercial Top Partner with Presonus. The recent completion of Temple University’s Broadcast & News set with an integrated direct view LED wall, was featured in PLSN Magazine. Joshua created set designs for manufacturers at NAMM.
- Joshua is part of the 40 under 40 industry influencers for Commercial Integrator for his role in esports for education. He was also recognized by NSCA as business partner of the year for his differentiating strategies for esports in the audio visual industry.
- Joshua is the education ambassador for Acer America and the esports program. He was featured in an education piece in USA Today as he leads the charge with esports and the development of the industry.
- Joshua’s industry experiences include working with a notable theme park, University of Delaware Esports Arena, and Temple University Broadcast Studio.
Technical Specialist for Lecture Capture (Encore via Panopto)
- Recently appointed Esports Lead to cultivate and facilitate the relationship between the Durham University Esports Society (Durham Defenders) at Durham University and academic/PSS departments. Also to develop Esports as an initiative by creating a functional training/competition space to encourage teamwork and growth.
- Founding member of the DU Esports Advisory Board.
- Advance HE Aurora graduate and Mentor.
- Avid gamer and technology enthusiast.
Professor Andy Miah, Ph.D.
Chair of Science Communication & Future Media
School of Science, Engineering, and Environment at the University of Salford, Manchester
- Professor Andy Miah (@andymiah) is Chair of Science Communication & Future Media in the School of Science, Engineering, and Environment at the University of Salford, Manchester.
- Author of 10 books about emerging technologies, Professor Miah is known for his research into artificial intelligence, human enhancement, immersive realities, and esports.
- He is an Advisory Board Member of the British Esports Association, Commission Member of the Global Esports Federation, and author of Sport 2.0: Transforming Sports for a Digital World (MIT Press, 2017).
- In 2020, he co-founded the International Journal of Esports, the world’s first scientific journal in the subject.
- Previous roles include providing digital media training for IAAF athletes, social media guidance for Olympic athletes, and mentoring on the International Olympic Committee Young Reporters Programme.
Regional Manager, UK and Ireland
- Ben Barnard is Regional Manager for AVIXA UK & Ireland and aspires to support the AV community through education, certification, training and providing the industry with access to the resources that are most beneficial to their businesses and professional development.
- Ben has been working closely with various Tech Manager groups over his time at AVIXA and is always keen to learn more about what's relevant and important to this particular segment of our community.
19 July 2021
1:00 PM - 2:00 PM
Eastern Standard Time