Effective Date: 4/16/2018
AVIXA (“AVIXA,” “we,” “our,” or “us”) provides this privacy notice to describe how we collect, use, share, and otherwise process the personal data of individuals who visit our website www.avixa.org (“Site”) and use our application.
We collect information you provide to us when visiting our Site, including your name, address, email address, phone number, payment information, education, product purchases, and employment information, and any other information you choose to provide us. We may collect this information through site registrations, surveys, applications, subscriptions, or through any other method. We will also collect your email address if you post messages to our bulletin board, communicate with us via email, or make postings to our chat areas. If you apply for an AVIXA scholarship or grant or apply to become a member, employee, or volunteer of AVIXA, we collect the personal data you submit during the application process, including your date of birth and other identification information.
We use your personal data for the following purposes:
- To deliver the content of our Site, including to improve the content of our Site as well as its advertisements, notify Site visitors about updates, and recognize Site visitors;
- To deliver products and services you request, including membership benefits and subscriptions to our publications;
- To advertise and market our products and services, including through mail and telephonic methods;
- To process applications;
- To respond to your inquiries or contact you as you request;
- As required by AVIXA to enable our business, including for analytics purposes;
- To protect the security of our interests, including our premises, assets, and systems;
- To comply with the law; or
- As otherwise disclosed at the time personal data is collected.
We do not use automatic decision-making or engage in profiling.
Where we intend to use or otherwise process your personal data for a purpose other than the purpose for which it was collected, we will provide you with information regarding the purpose for the processing, as well as other relevant information, prior to processing your personal data for the new purpose.
We share your personal data with the following third parties:
- Third party vendors who process data on behalf of AVIXA, such as event registration companies who provide registration services for our trade shows and conferences, email service providers who facilitate our email communications, and direct marketing providers who fulfill any print and related mailings, web hosting providers who track and analyze our website performance and related analytics;
- As part of a corporate sale, merger, or acquisition, or other transfer of all or part of our assets including as part of a bankruptcy proceeding;
- Pursuant to a subpoena, court order, governmental inquiry, or other legal process or as otherwise required by law, or to protect our rights or the rights of third parties; or
- With your consent or as otherwise disclosed at the time of data collection or sharing.
We may share information that has been anonymized or aggregated without limitation.
Third-Party Links and Tools
The Site may provide links to third-party websites or apps, including our social media pages. We do not control the privacy practices of those websites or apps, and they are not covered by this privacy notice. You should review the privacy notices of other websites or apps that you use to learn about their data practices.
The Site may also include integrated social media tools or “plug-ins,” such as social networking tools offered by third parties. If you use these tools to share personal information or you otherwise interact with these features on the Site, those companies may collect information about you and may use and share such information in accordance with your account settings, including by sharing such information with the general public. Your interactions with third-party companies and your use of their features are governed by the privacy notices of the companies that provide those features. We encourage you to carefully read the privacy notices of any accounts you create and use.
This section applies to those that visit our site from the European Union.
Lawful Basis for Processing
On certain occasions, we process your personal data when it is necessary for the performance of a contract to which you are a party, such as to provide services to you that you have requested. We may also process your personal data to respond to your inquiries concerning our products and services.
On other occasions, we process your personal data where required by law. We may also process your personal data if necessary to protect your interests or the interests of a third party.
Additionally, we process your personal data when necessary to do so for direct marketing purposes and this interest is not overridden by your data protection rights. Where we process your personal data for this purpose, our legitimate interest is to carry out our activities in furtherance of the well-being of all our employees and members.
If the processing of personal data is necessary and there is no statutory basis for such processing, we will ask for your consent to process your personal data. You have the right to withdraw your consent to processing of personal data at any time.
If you wish to exercise the right to withdraw consent, contact us via the “Contact” section below for contact information.
Transfers of Personal Data
Please be aware that the personal data we collect may be transferred to and maintained on servers or databases located outside your state, province, country, or other jurisdiction, where the privacy laws may not be as protective as those in your location. If you are located outside of the United States, please be advised that we process and store personal data in the United States.
You have a right to the following:
- To request access to the personal data we hold about you;
- To request that we rectify or erase your personal data;
- To request that we restrict or block the processing of your personal data;
- Under certain circumstances, to receive personal data about you that we store and transmit to another without hindrance from us, including requesting that we provide your personal data directly to another, i.e., a right to data portability; and
- Where we previously obtained your consent, to withdraw consent to processing your personal data.
To exercise these rights, contact us. See the “Contact” section below. Please be aware that AVIXA may be unable to afford these rights to you under certain circumstances, such as if we are legally prevented from doing so.
Additionally, you have the right to lodge a complaint against us. To do so, contact the supervisory authority in your country of residence.
We will process and store your personal data only for the period necessary to achieve the purpose of the storage, or as permitted by law. The criteria used to determine the period of storage of personal data is the respective statutory retention period or for certain marking data for our shows or other products, not to exceed four years from our last interaction with you. After expiration of that period, the corresponding data is routinely deleted, as long as it is no longer necessary for the fulfillment of a contract or the initiation of a contract.
When we transfer and receive certain types of sensitive information, such as financial or health information, we redirect visitors to a secure server.
To update your contact information or change your communication preferences, including to stop email, telephonic, or mail communications from us, please contact us through the methods provided in the “Contact” section below.
As described in this privacy notice, we may also make your personal information available to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. Pursuant to California Civil Code § 1798.83, no more than once per calendar year, you may request that we send you via mail or email: (1) the categories of personal information disclosed to those third parties; and (2) the names and addresses of those third parties. To request this information, please contact us at email@example.com.
Changes to Our Privacy Notice
If our information practices change, we will post these changes on this page. We encourage you to visit this page periodically to learn of any updates.
If you have questions, comments, or concerns about this privacy notice, please contact us, in our role as data controller, at:
11242 Waples Mill Road, Ste 200
Fairfax, VA 22030 USA
Phone: +1.703.273.7200 or +1.800.659.7469.
For visitors from the European Union, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.