AV Industry Pledge for an Equitable Future
The audiovisual industry pledge is more than a statement, it is a commitment to equity, inclusion and diversity.
Together we have an opportunity to create a world in which we embrace individuals from all backgrounds. The diverse thought and experience of women, LGBTQ+, Black, Latino, Asian, Indigenous, and disabled persons as well as veterans expands our industry knowledge, workplace success, business performance, innovation, and represent a better future for our AV community.
At AVIXA, we recognize there is much work to be done and this commitment is merely the beginning. We are calling on the entire audiovisual industry to stand with AVIXA and champion further equity, and full representation across every aspect of our business. The AV Industry Pledge for an Equitable Future is a personal pledge that any individual can take to help drive inclusive behavior across their company and the industry. Sign up today and encourage those you work with to do the same.
Your toolkit: While signing the AV Industry Pledge for an Equitable Future is an important first step toward a better future for the AV Industry, it is your continued efforts that will help us reach the goals of true diversity, inclusion and equity. Below are examples of how you and your company can increase your efforts.
1. Foster Awareness and Analysis
Positive change starts with understanding and acknowledge the existence of systemic racism, leaning in to tough conversations, and analyzing how we can contribute to creating a better world. This can include:
- Providing diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI), and unconscious bias education for your staff
- Creating safe spaces for challenging workplace conversations about DEI
- Adopting zero tolerance racism policies
- Establishing benchmarks for evolving company culture
- Create an internal task force dedicated to DEI work
- Completing an internal diversity audit to map areas for enhanced diversity at your company (integrating employee feedback mechanisms)
- Participating in AVIXA research, furthering the reporting of diversity amongst the AV industry
2. Take Action
Take real action. Pledge to set measurable goals, follow through on findings, and commit resources. This can include:
- Join AVIXA’s Diversity Council
- Hire and support a diverse workforce, executive leadership team and board of directors
- Update human resource policies and job descriptions/qualifications to offer more inclusive hiring policies and more candidates from underrepresented backgrounds
- Broadcast job opportunities, internships, and work experiences to underrepresented populations in wider networks and within your local communities
- Develop 360-degree mentoring programs for more leadership opportunities and nurturing of BIPOC employees
- Engage and foster diverse communities in your spheres of influence
- Build partnerships with nonprofits and community organizations such as the Loop Lab, EnventU, New Futures, YearUp, Boys & Girls Clubs, or Scouts
- Facilitate or host events and DEI exchanges or events
- Present representative marketing and advertising in your media by showcasing underrepresented voices from all backgrounds in stories to help prospective employees and clients feel a sense of belonging
- Remove outdated and non-inclusive terminology from your content, marketing materials, and technology guides
Upon signing the AV Industry pledge, share your progress and report on both challenges and successes. This can include:
- Sharing your experiences, what you learn, and what needs improvement with peers and the greater AV industry
- Creating and sharing actionable KPIs such as measurable change in hiring in one year, three years, and five years
- Sharing growth in representation benchmarks
- Demonstrating impact on your community and individuals from authentic relationships with new partners and/or organizations
By signing the AV Industry Pledge for an Equitable Future, we ask you to commit to the following:
- Join the AVIXA Diversity Council and/or Participate in future AVIXA Diversity Council Events.
- Participate in both Diversity Council and AVIXA led diversity, equity and inclusion research (including individual surveys and/or the annual AVIXA Member Survey)
- Participate (in-person or virtually) in future AVIXA DEI events exploring the toolkit & industry pledge and how it has impacted the AV industry.
Join These Pledge Signatories
For more information about AVIXA’s efforts or to discuss new ideas, please contact Joé Lloyd at [email protected].