The modern focus of video conference systems should not start and end with the most top-of-the-line video camera but instead should start with other AV components such as audio, content, and control. This session will look at the common elements of video conference-capable AV systems for learning.
Join us for the April Power Hour to learn how to:
- Identify the necessary AV components
- Understand the common elements for improving the online learning experience
- Communicate best practices to all relevant parties
Audiovisual for higher education and learning spaces is one of the fastest-growing market segments, according to AVIXA’s IOTA report. University technology managers, engineers, and AV/IT integrators can get the latest on new trends, technologies, and applications for digital signage systems in AVIXA’s monthly Learning Tech Manager’s Power Hour. Learn more about the Learning Tech Manager's Power Hour series.
David Amann, CTS
Manager of AV Systems
University of Cambridge
- David Amann, CTS, has been an AV and IT technology professional for over 20 years, beginning his career with a degree in Audio Technology and Music.
- After a few years in the commercial sector, David took up a post at the University of Cambridge overseeing their AV systems.
- As an active member of the Learning and Teaching Spaces Managers Group (LTSMG), he is an ambassador for collaboration and best practices.
- David holds memberships of the Institution of Engineering & Technology, and the Institute of Sound, Communications & Visual Engineers.
- In his spare time, David can be found playing the euphonium, riding his motorbike, or drinking whiskey… but not at the same time!
Justin Rexing, M.S., CTS-D, ISF-C, DMC-E-4K
AV Systems Designer
Western Kentucky University
- Justin holds a Bachelor's Degree in Computer Information Systems, a Master's Degree in Facility Design/Sports Administration, and is currently pursuing a Master's Degree in Homeland Security Sciences.
- Justin has worked at Western Kentucky University for 10 years and is the owner of an AV consulting firm.
- Justin has served on several AVIXA committees and task forces including PETC, Networked AV Systems, and the AV Implementation Handbook task force.
- Justin also has presented at UBTech12 on Project Design and Management.
Jim Smith, CTS-D
Sound Control Technologies
- Currently employed by Sound Control Technologies, Jim Smith, CTS-D®, has been involved in the design and integration of innovative electronic systems for more than 25 years.
- His experience includes the design of audio system electronics, telephone interfaces, cameras, and other subsystems while at PictureTel.
- He was heavily involved in the development of Certified Videoconferencing Engineer testing and certification programs at both PictureTel and Polycom.
- Prior to the communications industry, Smith was involved in the design and development of advanced electronics for military laser and smart-weapons systems.
- He has been published in the AVIXA reissue of the Wadsworth classic The Basics of Audio and Visual Systems Design, The BICSI System Integration Handbook, and was awarded full faculty status by AVIXA.
- He is frequently called upon as a consultant in the use and applications of conferencing technology by companies around the world.
Lisa Stephens, PhD
UB School of Engineering
- Dr. Lisa Stephens serves as Assistant Dean, UB School of Engineering in the Office of Online Education and Senior Strategist - Academic Innovation in the Office of the SUNY Provost. She also holds an adjunct assistant professorship at the University at Buffalo Department of Communication.
- Development of online and global education content for the School of Engineering, and the Program Director of SUNY FLEXspace, the Flexible Learning Environments eXchange – a global repository and community of practice of campus learning environments. She is also the project lead for the SUNY-Coursera partnership, coordinating SUNY-wide development of MOOCs.
- Lisa holds a Ph.D. in Higher Education Administration (University at Buffalo), an MS in Television, Radio & Film (Syracuse University), and a BFA in Communication Design (Rochester Institute of Technology).
Per Mouritzen, CTS
Aalborg University, Denmark
- Per Mouritzen has been working in the AV industry for more than 20 years, both as end-user, installer, and technician, he holds a CTS and has a master in ICT and learning, he is responsible for the classroom design at Aalborg University,
Regional Manager, UK and Ireland
- Ben Barnard is Regional Manager for AVIXA UK & Ireland and aspires to support the AV community through education, certification, training, and providing the industry with access to the resources that are most beneficial to their businesses and professional development.
- Ben has been working closely with various Tech Manager groups over his time at AVIXA and is always keen to learn more about what's relevant and important to this particular segment of our community.