What can you do to enhance your audience’s experience; and what can damage that experience? What makes an experience immersive enough and when may you lose focus if the audio is disrupted? How can crowd noise help achieve a feeling of community and when does it distract you?
Join this August Power Hour to learn how to:
- Identify factors that will contribute positively or negatively to the experience.
- Define and plan for the AV experience you want to create.
- Outline the priorities for loudspeakers and AV processing systems based on your application.
Audio conferencing systems and audio equipment in collaboration spaces are evolving rapidly to support remote and hybrid workforces. Audio engineers, audiovisual systems designers, and integrators can enhance their knowledge of audio technologies and trends in AVIXA’s Audio Power Hour. Learn more about the Audio Power Hour series.
UK Business Development Manager
- James looks after account management and sales for Ampetronic and Williams AV products in the UK, and celebrated his 15-year work anniversary for Ampetronic earlier this year.
- A graduate of the University of Derby’s Sound, Light and Live Event Technology (BSc) programme, James veered off-course into the world of installed AV, and hasn’t looked back!
Director of System Optimization
- Bob McCarthy’s involvement in the field of sound system optimization began in 1984 with the development of Source Independent Measurement (SIM®), which was inducted into the TEC Awards Hall of Fame in 2019.
- He has been an active force in modern sound system design and optimization for over 35 years, including three generations of SIM, thousands of designs, tunings, training seminars and publications.
- Bob has had the privilege to work with many great sound designers, including Abe Jacob, Andrew Bruce, Tony Meola, Jonathan Deans, Francois Desjardins and more, and has been charged with tuning systems for Cirque Du Soleil, Walt Disney Entertainment, Carnegie Hall, Celine Dion, Grateful Dead and others.
- Musical theater credits include Les Miserables, The Beatles’ LOVE, Wicked and many more.
- Recent designs and tunings include the ongoing Metallica WorldWired tours, Roskilde Festival, Shanghai Disney Resort and more.
- His award-winning book, Sound Systems: Design and Optimization, now in its third edition, has sold over 15,000 copies in three languages.
- USITT presented Bob with the Distinguished Achievement in Sound Award in 2014.
- Bob is well known in the field of audio education and delivered the keynote address at the 50th AES Conference, which was the first ever dedicated to audio education.
- Bob is the Director of System Optimization at Meyer Sound.
Jim Smith, CTS-D
Channel Systems Engineer
- Jim will be supporting consultants and AV integrators in the design and deployment of Poly conferencing technologies.
- Jim has been involved in the design and integration of innovative electronic systems for more than 25 years.
- His experience includes design of audio system electronics, telephone interfaces, cameras and other subsystems while at PictureTel.
- He was heavily involved in the development of Certified Videoconferencing Engineer testing and certification programs at both PictureTel and Polycom.
- Prior to the communications industry, Smith was involved in the design and development of advanced electronics for military laser and smart-weapons systems.
- He has been published in the AVIXA reissue of the Wadsworth classic The Basics of Audio and Visual Systems Design, The BICSI System Integration Handbook, and was awarded full faculty status by AVIXA.
- He is frequently called upon as a consultant in the use and applications of conferencing technology by companies around the world.
Thom Mullins CTS, CTS-D
Senior Audiovisual Consultant/Project Manager
Affiliated Engineers, Inc.
- Over a 45-year career, Thom Mullins has worked across a wide variety of AV industry markets including higher education, corporate, broadcast and recording, government/public, healthcare, and manufacturing for projects in the US and overseas.
- Starting in broadcasting, he moved into low-voltage contracting and ultimately into consulting.
- He remains actively involved in operating systems, standards development with AVIXA, mentoring young professionals, and education.
25 August 2021
1:00 PM - 2:00 PM
Eastern Standard Time